Published on:

Deadline for El Salvador TPS Extended to March 9, 2015

stampAs an El Salvador immigrant, if you are living and working in the USA under the El Salvador Temporary Protected Status, you must register again for your 10-month extension within the 60-day time frame that started on January 7, 2015 and ends on March 9, 2015. The extension you’re applying for will be valid from March 10, 2015 through September 9, 2016. If you do not submit your registration by this date, you could lose your TPS and also your right to work.

Applying for Re-registration

If you apply for re-registration online, you’ll need to fill out both the I-821 and I-765 forms. If you are submitting a paper application, you can use the mailing address listed in the Federal Register or on the TPS website that’s specific to your country.  Do remember that you won’t pay any fees unless you’re applying for the first time. First time applicants cannot file online and must submit a paper application, as well as the application fee of $50.

Requesting for the EAD

EAD is your Employment Authorization Document and you’ll need to request one at the time of re-registration.  Your new EAD will be valid through September 9, 2015.  If you already have an EAD that is due to expire on March 9, 2015, the USCIS understands that you cannot receive a new one as long as your old EAD is valid, which is why in this particular situation, the USCIS will automatically extend your present authorization so that it’s valid through September 9, 2015. All you need to do is to present your existing EAD with the expiration date of March 9, 2015 along with a copy of the pertinent Federal Register notice to your employer and relevant government agency to continue working.

Biometric Service Fees

The USCIS might require that you pay a biometrics services fee for getting your fingerprints taken. In some cases, they might also take your photograph and request a signature. For these services, you will need to pay a fee of $85, either by a check or money order. At the time of re-registration, whether you’re requesting an EAD or not, if you are 14 years or older, you will need to pay the fee.

Waiving Biometric Fees

Under special circumstances, you can request that the fees be waived. To apply for a waiver, you must submit a paper copy of the exempt request form by mail. The USCIS will then consider your request and if you meet the necessary conditions, grant you an exemption. Do remember that you cannot file this application online.

At Lyttle Law Firm, we understand that re-registering can be a somewhat complicated process, especially since all the paperwork must be submitted English. We’re here to assist you and your loved ones through the procedure, however. Contact us today so we can guide you through the steps you’ll need to take to make your re-registration as streamlined as possible.

Contact Information